HOMEABOUTProjectsMary KayRecipesContact

May 25, 2011

The Oprah Winfrey Show

Since today is Oprah's last day on The Oprah Winfrey Show, I thought I would share my experience with The Oprah Winfrey Show...yep that's right, I have an experience to share!! Aren't you excited?!?

So it all started in 2005...I started calling the Oprah show trying to get tickets to go and be in the audience for a taping of the show. I had called and called and even sent a few last minute email reservations, never getting through to anyone on the phones and or having anyone email me back about my emails.

Well, that ALL changed on Friday, March 14th at 12:27pm 2008! I was at the Champlin library, so I had to have my phone off...well I put it on vibrate...and felt it go off...so I looked down and had a missed call with a voicemail.

I started to listen to it....and then I heard it..."This message is for Daphne. This is Becky from the Oprah Winfrey show, we received your email..." and my heart started beating so fast, I was shaking, and then I gasped....no way was this really happening! I threw all my stuff in my purse and ran out of the library. I got in my car and played the message again while driving...I listened to the whole message and started screaming!!! I called Josh...no answer, called my mom....no answer, called Kelsey....no answer! I drove to the church and ran into Josh and Dave...I told them and they couldn't believe it either!

I finally gained a little control and called Becky back...no answer, so I left a message and drove home. On they way home she called me back and we worked out all the details...were ready to go for Monday, YES that coming Monday!!


I asked Bert to go with me! We were so excited!


We left Sunday night and drove to Chicago, arriving about 12:45am. We stayed with Bert's aunt. We were wiped out but we were suppose to watch Oprah's Big Give (that was part of the show) so Bert (just newly pregnant) went to bed and I stayed up to watch it. I went to bed around 2:30am...only to wake up about 5am.

We got ready and headed to the studio to arrive a little before 7am, only to find there were about 250 people ahead of us already! So we stood in line and waited...We finally got in  and waited some more. Then it happened...our number was called and we were allowed to enter...and it was so great!!



Oprah was beautiful and walked in right in front of us! Then Simon Cowell came out...who by the way is very funny, and pretty good looking for an older guy! We also got to see Leona (the winner of the British "American" Idol), Carlana (the 3rd to get booted off Oprah's Big Give), The Naked Chef, Jamie Oliver, and Kristie Alley.

We also got to stay and be in the audience for the taping of Kristie Alley's potential new show. We were in the 2nd row for that, so we should be on TV for sure if it airs!! Oh and as we left we received Leona's brand new CD!

After the show we headed back to MN...it was an AMAZING 24 hour trip!!

Now you would think the story would end there...but it doesn't! Nope it sure doesn't...

After my year of waiting, because you do have to wait a year to try for tickets again, I would check Oprah.com every once in a while rarely for tickets. Then they changed the way you get tickets and instead of calling it is all done by email reservations. One night I just happened to look and see there were some tickets and the deadline was that night! So, I thought "why not give it a try." Well the next day there it was...the email from Oprah...telling me I got four tickets!!! (*last time I got only two)

I asked Rawney, Michelle and Kristi to go with me!

Me, Kristi, Michelle, Rawney

We left the day before because we had the chance to see a "sneak preview" of Why Did I Get Married Too? by Tyler Perry (and FREE popcorn and pop...Thanks Oprah).

Us waiting in line for the Sneak Preview

We stayed at a nice hotel and then the next morning had our Dunkin Donuts and off we went to the taping! We waited in line but thankfully not as many people were ahead of us (as were the first time I went). We got in, and thanks to Rawney and I being pregnant we got to sit close to the doors and bathrooms, then we waited...once we got in we enjoyed the show! We saw Oprah, Tyler Perry, and Janet Jackson! We got Janet Jackson's new CD, and some men's body wash!

AND you could see a little bit of me on the show once it aired!!

It was a wonderful girls "weekend" (midweek) away! I mean, no better way to bond then driving to Chicago and back in less than 36 hours!

Well Oprah, you had a good run with some great guests, bad outfits, crazy hair, and many tears...thanks for taking me along!

Disclaimer...I am in no way obsessed with Oprah or believe in everything that she believes in...it was a fun couple experiences and chances of a lifetime that I just couldn't pass up.

1 comment:

  1. How fun that you got to go on the show twice. And what fun friend trips to take :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment!